Like many 90s kids, I loved playing PC games. Monkey Island was one of my favorites. In this project, I inspired myself with a mix of two concepts from House of Voodoo. Overall, it was a good exercise to learn more about timesheets, Unreal substrates,  and Niagara effects. Please check the final results below.

House of Voodoo Screenshot

 

House of Voodoo – Breakdown process

 

House of Voodoo reference

I started this project by sketching a mix of the two concepts above. I wanted to mix the rustic rocky floor with the lavish upholstery. Gathering the remaining references was also a fun process.

 

sketch

 

Then, I jumped to Maya and started creating proxy blocks to have a sense of the space and the focal length I should use.

 

 

After that, I started creating the trimsheet template for the floor and walls. I jumped to Zbrush to sculpt the bumps and details and baked on Substance Painter. It was fun opening the circular UVs on Maya and positioning the blocks in a way to cover the trimsheet segments.

 

After finalizing the trimsheet, I placed the proxy actors on Unreal Engine 5 to have a sense of the lighting and dimensions. Then, I started sculpting the lavish chair on Zbrush. It’s incredible to think that people have chairs like this in their houses!

 

After I was done sculpting and texturing all assets that needed a particular level of detail, I worked on the remaining props on Maya. Because these props were not going to be very close to the camera and the environment was dark, I just bunched everything to bake together and textured them on Substance Painter. I slightly enlarged the UVs that had more significance. After texturing, I separated them from the group, moved them to the center of the word, and imported them to Unreal. I like to create instances of the prop materials on Unreal to fine-tune the roughness levels.

 

uv props

all props

 

For the materials, the most complex one was the “moving soup”. I joined two textures together and panned them around while adding an emissive blink with sine.

 

moving texture material

 

I wanted to play with several instances of frosted glass, so I enabled Substrate on my project and created the material below.

 

frosted-glass

 

Thank God we have YouTube tutorials! I found one on how to create bubbles on Niagara and it was a blessing. I had no idea we could replace the particles with our own meshes.

 

 

Setting up the smoke using Niagara was fun, but I definitively had a few “accidents” like the ones below.